Originally from Miami, Florida, Segal left the beaches for the mountains of Boulder, Colorado. Some say if Segal hadn’t become a professional rock climber, he could have made a solid go at it in the world of used car sales. His level of enthusiasm for climbing is unrivaled. When pitching an idea for a trip, Matt’s voice creeps up steadily in volume, and his gaze becomes more intense. Then, at the crescendo of the proposal, he’ll explode with “It’ll be great!” A born explorer, Segal has a sixth sense for sniffing out obscure, wild rock climbing destinations. He’s traveled the world, from China to Argentina, mostly focusing on establishing the most difficult traditional climbs he can find.
1. Surviving a brief stint as a paraglider pilot.
2. Iron Monkey 5.14 First Ascent Trad Eldorado Canyon
3. Smart went Crazy 5.13+R First Ascent Trad Eldorado Canyon
4. The Orangutan Overhang 5.14- First Ascent Trad Independence Pass CO
5. Air China 5.13+R First Ascent Trad, Liming. China
Plus 3 (used to be plus 4 BUT breaking neck and back doesn’t do you any favors.)
Headshot: ® Cave Man Collective | Banner Photo: ®Savannah Cummins
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE EXCLUSIVE PROMOTIONS,
NEWS & TIPS AND ALSO BE ENTERED TO