Silke lives in Boulder, Colorado with her husband and La Sportiva Mountain Running teammate, Ryan Smith. She fell in love with mountain running during a post-college stint living in the Tetons but didn't actually start running ultras until 2008 when she lived in NYC! After traveling around the world for a year, she & Ryan moved to Boulder where they co-founded the local trail running club, the Rocky Mountain Runners. When not on the trails, Silke works full-time in the educational non-profit world trying to improve school for under-served kids around the country. She also enjoys beekeeping, making a mess in the kitchen, and embarking on overly ambitious DIY home remodeling, landscaping & carpentry projects.
1. Finishing my first marathon, the NYC Marathon, in 2006
2. Earning the WS100 silver buckle, my first 100 miler, in 2014
3. Two Top 10 finishes at the Pikes Peak Ascent
4. Finishing 14th overall and 2nd American woman at UTMB in 2016
5. Becoming a mother in 2017