A La Sportiva climber since 1990, Eric Hörst (pronounced “Hurst”) is an internationally renowned author, researcher, climbing coach, and accomplished climber of 40 years. A self-professed “climber for life”, Eric remains active at the cliffs, traveling widely with his wife, Lisa, and sons, Cameron and Jonathan (both of whom climbed 5.14a/8b+ at age 11). Driven by his passion for adventure and challenge, he has established over 400 first ascents, primarily on his home cliffs in the Eastern United States, and he’s still pushing his personal climbing limits at age 53.
Eric is also one of the world’s most knowledge climbing coaches and his eight books (and many foreign translations) have sold more than 300,000 copies worldwide. The third edition of his best-selling Training for Climbing was released in 2016. Eric has written hundreds of magazine articles, appeared on numerous TV broadcasts, and his training techniques and photos have appeared in many publications including Rock & Ice, Climbing, Outside, DeadPoint, Men’s Health, Fortune, Men’s Journal, Muscle Media, Muscle & Fitness, Paddler, Urban Climber, Parents, Wall Street Journal, Experience Life, Outdoor 4X, and National Geographic Adventure, as well as European magazines such as Desnivel, Alpen, Climax, and Climber. Eric is also a published researcher and member of the International Rock Climbing Research Association (IRCRA). Eric produces a monthly Training For Climbing podcast (available on iTunes) and his training videos are regularly featured on EPIC-TV.
1. Helping countless climbers around the world better enjoy the vertical world—and climb harder!—through my many articles, books, and clinics.
2. Establishing West Virginia’s first 5.13 route in 1987…with my ascent of Diamond Life at the New River Gorge.
3. Persevering for 20 years, with the support of the Access Fund, to bring about the re-opening the Safe Harbor crags, Pennsylvania’s largest sport climbing area.
4. Contributing to the coaching of the next generation of elite climbers, including my sons, Cameron and Jonathan, among many others.
5. Continuing to climb at a high level into my 50s…and hopefully for decades to come!
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE EXCLUSIVE PROMOTIONS,
NEWS & TIPS AND ALSO BE ENTERED TO